Sunday 5 August 2012

Liberator, Episode 3- the Bandolier

Hey Everyone,

Today's wine is a rather lovely little bottle of South African red from a producer which I've had little experience with, but of which I am fast becoming a fan. Each bottle from Liberator wines is known both by a title and an episode number, and the winery's website has a short comic strip to correspond. The one I'm trying this week, called the Bandolier is a blend of two of my favourite grapes; Mourvédre and Syrah.

The name 'Bandolier' (which is actually word refering to a cross-the-body ammunition belt à la Pancho Villa) is clearly reminiscent of the style of wine this bottle is attempting to invoke. Bandol, in Provence is the only appellation in the world which is predominantly Mourvédre, and traditionally makes big, spicy, herbal wines with great character and longevity. This wine, with it's engaging style and wide appeal is a great introduction to this old school style and, though it's marketing is a tad cheesy, I think it is an all around excellent expression of the grape.

It is deep and intense in colour with a hint of purple at the centre, clearly displaying the characteristics of the grapes it is made from. Both are thick skinned and produce dark wines.

It has aromas of deep spice and hints of rosemary and pepper. The nose develops over time and notes of damson and black cherries come through alongside a gamey richness like the smell of roasting meat and vegetables. I even got a fleeting hint of cinnamon or clove just as I took my nose away from the glass.

The palate has a lovely tannic style with a velvety texture that sits oh so nicely on the tongue. As I hold it there, it feels so satisfying and complete. Definitely a mouth filling wine and for the price tag, sitting just under 15 pounds, its definitely worth the money.

This is a wine which I like quite a lot and I'm always looking for good value wines in the sweet spot between 8 and 15 pounds per bottle. This is square in the middle of that range and offers excellent value for money. I hope you get a chance to try this delightful little wine, you will not be disappointed!

Much Love,

G.

No comments:

Post a Comment