Saturday 13 August 2011

First Notes- Camins del Priorat 2008

To all my potential followers,


This is my first posting on my blog; hopefully the first of many, and I hope that it will come to be a source for opinions on wines of interest.  I do this mostly as an effort to amalgamate all of my own tasting notes into one place.  If it so happens that you find my postings to be of any use, I would love to hear from you.  Naturally, if you feel that I would do better directing my attention in any other way (expletives and all) I would be equally appreciative.


I am particularly beholden to this style of wine; Spain was one of the first wine-producing countries I ever explored and it was a beautiful Melis Elix 2001 Priorat that sparked my love for wine.  For that reason I begin my tasting notes with another wine from this massively under-appreciated region of Spain...


Alvaro Palacios- Camins del Priorat, 2008


Country of Origin: Spain
Viticultural Region: Priorat
Classification: D. O. C. (Denominación de Orígen Calificada)
Varietals: Cariñena (60%), Garnacha (30%), Cabernet Sauvignon (10%)
Price Range: £15-£20


Appearance: Beautiful, deep colour with intensity and clarity.  The legs are pronounced as they run down the sides of the glass, hinting to the high alcohol levels (14.5%).


Nose:  The dominant aroma is of very juicy fruits such as cherries, strawberries and blackberry.  There is an underlying woodsmoke, but it is fleeting and may take a few goes to pronounce itself.  There are some smells reminiscent of Portwine and jammy fruits, which is consistent with the palate following.


Palate:  Silky tannins provided by the trace amounts of Cabernet Sauvignon, giving way to the sweetness of the Garnacha and Cariñena are well balanced with the medium acidity.  A slight spiciness shows a lot of good character in this wine.  


After returning to this wine following a few hours in the bottle, the contact with air has woven in a few extra threads to this glass.  Some new aromas of licorice and sandalwood have joined ripe blueberries and jam.


Overall I can say that this is a well balanced example of a very food-friendly wine.  Pair it with lamb or light stews and soft spanish cheese.  I would highly recommend this as an affordable wine with good character and a vibrant style.


Score: 88 out of 100

No comments:

Post a Comment