Monday 16 April 2012

It's good to have friends.


Hey Everyone,

Today I'm writing to you from one of the most lovely neighbourhoods I've had the pleasure to visit in many years. I woke up this morning to the lovely sounds of church bells, my favourite alarmer. I can hear the sounds of Sunday morning in the city outside and a beautiful sense of peace and calm pervading. I am sitting in a small but cosy flat here in the heart of Montmartre. I often marvel at the good fortune which comes my way, even if it comes along with some rather embarrassing lost in translation moments.

Some years ago I chose that wine would be my calling. It presented itself as an option and, loving the stuff, I went for it. I don't know exactly what the future might hold for my career in the wine industry, but for now I have come to the conclusion that it need not worry me, so long as I have friends. This doesn't mean contacts that can set me up or anything, but really genuine friends which make the world of wine so colourful and vibrant. This was my first visit to France which lasted more than a day (for details of my hellish 20 hours in Charles de Gaulle, ask me personally) and while the focus was officially on the wine and the competition, I was really most impressed by the hospitality and the eagerness to please.

I came to Paris with three friends, two on the Univeristy Wine Tasting Team with me to compete in the Sciences Po International Tasting competition. The competition was amazing and the wines we tried were delightful. The questions were challenging and the results for the team were exhilarating. Overall the most interesting bit was how friendly the people involved were. The people at Bollinger, the hosting Champagne house in Ay, were incredibly welcoming, were generous with their wine, giving us the chance to try four different vintages of their champagne as well as plenty of their basic rose and non vintage.
Bollinger RD

By the time we left the winery, those hosting our visit were eager to stress that we were welcome to come visit anytime, that we could come experience a harvest in September and that we were always welcome to stay in Ay. From what I've been told, these offers are not hollow promises and once you are brought into the fold with someone like Bollinger you are always welcome to come again. For this visit, I cannot sing the praises loudly enough for the hospitality of Sciences Po and Bollinger. I am truly fortunate to be in this kind of trade. Sometimes I am nervous about my choice of career, but when I see that's will be working with people this friendly, I can't help feel I've made the right decision.

Delightful Grand Année
For those interested in the actual competition, there were twelve teams from Britain, France and Italy with competitors from around the world, St Andrews achieved its highest ranking ever, at third behind Dauphine and Oxford and just above Cambridge. We were hard pressed on the theory questions, but scored very well on the blind tasting. We were given three champagnes, three whites and three reds, with the breakdown as follows;

The champagnes were Bollinger RD 1995, Bollinger RD 1996, and Bollinger RD 1997.

The whites included a 2004 Vouvray, Chilean Chardonnay 2009, and an Alsace Riesling 2008

The reds were Saint Joseph 2009, Chilean Syrah 2009, and an Australian Shiraz 2009

The final three teams were given a Bollinger Grande Annee 2002 and a 1998 Chateau Palmer.

So a huge thanks to Bollinger and to Sciences Po for hosting this truly enjoyable competition. It was a great opportune to meet people with similar interests and to see a beautiful place.

Much love,
G


Photography compliments of George Flickinger

No comments:

Post a Comment