Friday 28 March 2014

Revisiting and old Friend- Sijnn 2007 Red

Hey Everybody,

Today's wine is a common theme on this blog; Sijnn.  I'm just putting in a brief tasting note as I revisit this monopolic gem from the Western Cape.  As I sit here in my couch less (there are cushions on the floor) Brooklyn residence I am happy to report that this wine along with several other South African beauties has arrived into my current place of employ- September Wines in the Lower East Side.

I was somewhat surprised to discover, however that the current vintage in the US is the inaugural 2007 release.  A bit of a stunner as the wine is so difficult to come across anywhere else, so I can only assume that Sijnn is yet to make significant inroads into the US.  Hopefully that will change and we can move onto the 2008 at some point in the near future!

At any rate I took a bottle home for my churrasco tonight and popped it open to see what it's been doing these past seven years.  I last checked in on the 2007 last year at the Malgas property with winemaker David Trafford and it was showing beautifully.  A year along I am impressed once again.  A touch of a brickish rim around the inky core is a mere hint towards approaching maturity.

Aromas of blackberry jam and cassis liqueur waft out alongside polished leather, dusty earth and gentle spices.  It is surprisingly restrained initially considering it's age but it does develop nicely in the glass offering up notes of forest floor, black olive and stewed plums.  Just a touch of oak ties it all together and serves as a frame.

The palate is firm, tannins have held up nicely and acidity is still keeping everything tightly wound.  The palate needs a bit longer to open up but when it does, its very deep and beautifully layered.  Flavours are rich, with a dark chilli chocolate character coming out in the mid palate transforming into a satisfyingly bittersweet finish.

I predict that this wine is not even half way to being past it's time.  I'll certainly be checking in on this vintage and the others regularly for some time.

Much Love,
G

No comments:

Post a Comment